Anatomy of a Counterfeit COMEX
by Ed Delgado
Don't get fooled by the trick photo below. It was taken at the right time to
help hide a COMEX counterfeit. I borrowed this watch from a friend.
Anyway, its a 1665 with apparently a replacement dial.. The trick is in the photography, I waited till the second hand covered the coronet and "L" so to misguide the casual observer..
Here is the trick shot..
Here is the correct photo, not too many people will miss the un-aligned coronet..
Other things that jump out.
1. Cyclops on a 1665?
2. Spacing of "COMEX" to the markings of the depth (need more space) and missing "SEA-DWELLER"
3. Poor printing of letters.
4. Spumoni markers.
1. Bezel insert is aftermarket and so is the bezel
2. Crystal is flat like a saphire crystal, where it should be domed..
3. The HEV, can be easily pushed in with a pen..
Case is also clearly aftermarket with poor printing and the words "REGISTERED DESIGN" are missing.
And if its in a book, it must be correct!!
I present to you, the COMEX 1665, no 12.